Thursday, September 20, 2007

Stop Signs! or Stop Talking?

Someone I know and like at work seems to have stopped talking to me. I mean, there are the casual hello's, but the lively, happy to see you feeling is gone. I have noticed this over the last week or so. And it pains me. This was someone who I thought of as being a really good person, the kind of person you WANT as a friend, the kind of person that you can enjoy hanging out with. So I have been trying to figure out what I did wrong. What did I say, or not say, or do, or not do, to make them feel this way about me? * Notice the egocentric perspective of this thinking. It all revolves around ME. *

So as I thought more about this person this morning, and their expression when I see them lately, it FINALLY occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, it has NOTHING to do with me. Perhaps this person, who I like so much, and respect so much, is having some other sort of difficulty in their life! What if, in fact, what they need right now is some support? Because let me tell you, that is not how I was thinking. Being self-centered as I am, I was thinking more like "Hey, whatever, if you don't want to be friends, that is alright with me, I don't NEED friends." So I guess you might call it a paradigm shift this morning. I need to find this person today and ask them if they are all right, if there is anything I can do for them! After all, when a person brings all that good feeling into your day for weeks and months, it is your duty to try to return the favor when they are feeling down!

Now, on to STOP SIGNS... WHY DO WE STOP??? I mean, when we can obviously see that there are no other cars around, as is the case in quiet neighborhoods far from main roads, why do we stop for NOTHING? In this petroleum ransomed world we live in, when will we start each thinking individually about the right and wrong of each action we take? I figure every time I stop at a stop sign when there is nobody else around, I waste gasoline, I waste brake pad lining, I waste time, and so on and so on. So... WHY DO WE STOP??? Yes, I know it is 'the law', but... I ask you... WHY DO WE STOP???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne...I'm really starting to worry about you. The reason we stop at stop signs is because we're expected to; people that we might not see are depending on us to follow rules. how would you feel if you ran a stop sign and hit a kid chasing a ball or riding his bike? it would haunt you the rest of your days.keep following the rules of the road...gas is cheap compared to life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wayne,
You know Wayne, I really started thinking about what you were saying about stopping at stop signs. Man, you're some kind of rebel! I started blowing threw stops signs a couple of days ago! Feels great don't it! Whew ya baby! Look out! Here comes the big bad Merc, and she aint stoppin for nothin...well except more gas.