Friday, September 28, 2007

Autumn Calling

I can feel the crisp charge of Autumn energy beginning to course through my soul. This is a time of year that so resonates for me, that to consider it is almost to cry... Sublime, yes that is what it is... sublime.

But alas, I am living in a part of the country where the effects, the impact, the joy of Autumn is muted and dulled. How so? Heat, humidity. Yes, living in Florida is not the ideal way to experience Autumn.

I long for northern climes. I long for waking to crisp, sometimes frosty mornings that call for blue jeans and jackets. To feel winter's welcoming breeze on my face. To shuffle my feet through gently laid drifts of leaves blazing with the colors of Autumn.

Halloween comes soon, and memories of trick or treating in the cool fall air play through my mind, plucking at heart strings. And so I long for northern climes. I long to live in a place where snow can happen in winter, if not lots, at least a maybe. I long to wake on weekend mornings and lounge in bed, watching the leaves turn golden outside. Then to head outside covered in warm layers and feel that crisp air on my face, in my lungs, in my soul.

In the meantime, this fall, this winter, I will enjoy every smidgen of fall that comes my way. And I will enjoy the moments I have, while I am having them, and save the longing for the quiet moments.

No comments: